Ros Davies' Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site
© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only
|Ballyhalbert village||Ballyhalbert Church of Ireland||Ballyhemlin Non Subscribing Presbyterian||Portavogie Presbyterian||Ballyhalbert Schoolhouse|
|These lovely old postcards on the left of Ballyhalbert was kindly sent to me by Pat McGowan Bartos||This lovely old postcard of Shore St, Ballyhalbert is from Noel Lavery.|
Ballyhalbert is a small village on the Irish Sea coast. Its name seems to be a corruption of Ball- Thalbot or Talbotstown derived from the Talbot family which occupied this area after the conquest c. 1300. The parish paid tithes to Black Abbey in 1615. In 1659 there were 12 English/ Scots & 10 Catholic families. There is an ancient Anglo-Norman motte just behind the village.
In 1836 it was described as being without any importance and not being a post town. The inhabitants were mostly fishermen. The other trades were 4 spirit dealers and grocers and one smith. It is an ancient town but has been diminishing in importance. It had 45 cabins, 18 of which were slated and eleven 2 storey houses of stone with small windows which would not have admitted much light. There weren't any fairs or markets held in the village. The people were described as respectable and industrious with no decided cleanliness about them or their houses. They used turf as fuel for their fires.
There was a court held in the village
every 9 weeks and a leet court held every year in April. There wasn't
a police constable but there were 8 coastguard men & one chief officer.
No illicit distilling, no smuggling, no houses were insured & no
dispensary. There were two corn mills here in 1836. There is an ancient
standing stone nearby. There is a village graveyard.
Newspaper articles from Northern
Newspaper articles from Down
Newspaper articles from Newtownards
|References;NS; V7 p5,6,& V17 p 125 OSM :DR; GIC; NC; SP; O'L V1 p 427 & B p 328; PNNI V2 p 103; LR 2004 p13|
by Ros Davies