Davies' Family History
Frederick LAUE & Wilhelmine MOLL
my great grandparents
Click here for a 3 generation Family Tree for Frederick & Wilhelmine
click here for more information on the children
Frederick was born
in 2 May & bpt. 11 May 1855 to Edward Laue (b. 1829) and Fredericke
Schroder (b. 1820) . Edward was a miller. i
Twins were born to Wilhelmine when she was 20 years old. They were christened eleven days later at the family's place of worship, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Neuburg (about 5 km north east of Kalsow on the road to Rostock). They were named Emma Johanna Wilhelmine Moll and Anna Marie Louise Moll. Standing as god-parents for Emma were Maria Biemann, a hunter's wife and Johann Moll, farmer. (This could be her only surviving brother who would have inherited the farm on the death of his father in 1865.) Standing as godparents for Anna were Maria Moll, farmer's wife (this could be her mother) and Anna Moll, a dressmaker, (most likely her spinster sister.) It is interesting to note that on the page where the twin's births were recorded, four out of the five births were listed as illegitimate. xii
A decision must have been made for Wilhelmine and the twins to travel to England to live with friends in Liverpool. She was living at 148 Park Lane, Liverpool when she married Frederick Laue on 26th August 1883 at the German Church in Renshaw Street. Witnesses to the marriage were August Dumkow and Eduard Heinrich. Wilhelmine didn't list any occupation. Iii
By 1891, the house at 148 Park Road was uninhabited. In the house
on one side was Henry Brown aged 52, who was a clothing outfitter and
his wife and niece. They were all from Germany. On the other side was
Frederick Eimer, aged 56 who owned a tobacconist and stationery business.
He, his wife and female servant were also all from Germany. xiii Some
trades & occupations listed in the Post Office Directory of 1880
seem to have a large proportion of Germans in them; e.g. hairdressing
The German church in Liverpool Lutheran opened in 1846 catering to an
increasing German population in the area.
Emma is on the left & Anna on the right
After the marriage, the family lived in Chester & , Liverpool where two more children were born, William and Minna.
Life in Liverpool
Coming to Australia
|The steamship 'Neckar' was built by Caird & Co, Greenock, Scotland, for the Norddeutscher Lloyd, and was launched on 11th October 1873. 3,122 tons; 107.70 x 12.20 metres (length and breadth) straight bow, 1 funnel, 2 masts, iron construction, screw propulsion, service speed 13.5 knots; accommodation for 144 passengers in 1st class; 68 in 2nd class and 502 in steerage. Her maiden voyage was on 18th April 1874, Bremen - Southampton- New York. Her last voyage was on 3rd January 1886 Bremen-Southampton-New York before being rebuilt at Bremerhaven for the East Asia Imperial Mail service. Passenger accommodation altered to 50 in 1st class, 21 in 2nd class and 574 in steerage. Her first voyage was on 28th July 1886- Bremen-Suez Canal- Far East. On 14th February 1894 her first voyage on the Naples- New York route and 23rd March 1895 was her last voyage from Naples- New York (9 round-trip voyages). Her first voyage Bremen-New York was on 15th June 1895 and her last in August 1895 (2 round-trip voyages) In October 1896 she was sold and in December 1896 was scrapped in Genoa .xvi|
|he family emigrated to Australia as unassisted immigrants on GMS Neckar which was a 1870 ton steamer under Captain H. Baur. It had sailed from Bremen in northern Germany to Liverpool then to Sydney. The crew was German but the passengers' names were mainly English. There were fifty first-class passengers, nine saloon-class and seventy third-class passengers. The Laues were travelling third-class. The information contained on the passenger list was inaccurate. Whether or not it was bad handwriting, the surname was written Love. The twins were listed as 5 years old, whereas they were over 6. Anna is listed as Hannah. William was listed as Wilhelm with his correct age and Minna was Minnie. Possibly this information must have been stated on a form several months prior to sailing. ix|
The family arrived on the 15th May 1887 ix and first settled in Pickup Street, Alexandria, a Sydney suburb, amongst the German community and then a year later moved to the far out suburb of Rockdale. The first appearance of F.W. Laue in the Sands Directories was in 1890 where he had listed his business as a tobacconist at Rocky Point Road, Rockdale. x He also operated a hairdressers in Rocky Point Road, Rockdale (now called Princes Highway) but later bought a double fronted shop which was also on Rocky Point Road.
The family lived above the shop for 24 years.Four more children were born at Rockdale, Edward, Marie, Charlotte and Victoria. Marie died as a baby, and there was an 18-year gap between the twins and Victoria. Interestingly, Victoria's birth certificate was falsified to cover up the family ' problem'. Her parents are listed as having been married on 19th March 1881 in Wismar, Germany and the twins listed as having been born in 1882. iii He also purchased a tobacconist shop in the Tramway Arcade (near where the buses terminate today). The children were all expected to help in both shops. The photo on the right shows Victoria with her father outside the shop.
Frederick was a member of the St George Bowling Club, which used to be alongside the railway station at Rockdale before it moved to Harrow Road, Bexley. In 1901 he won the beginner's handicap and was presented with a set of wooden bowls. This set was taken to the U.S.A. by his son Edward but was later returned to Australia and presented to the club by his daughter, Victoria, as part of the club's 75th anniversary celebrations. xi The family attended the Methodist Church in Bay Street, Rockdale.
Frederick died, aged 55, from kidney failure and stroke. In his will made out just one week before he died, he named his son Edward as his executor and he left all his property and the sum of £397.14.1 to his wife, Wilhelmine. The witnesses were his friends Adolph Heinrich from Alexandria and James Whitton. The solicitors were MacNamara and Smith.
After her husband's death in 1911, Wilhelmina bought a house at 11 Kimpton Street, Banksia (a nearby suburb) and lived there until her death. The property was part of an original land grant to Simeon and James Pearce in 1854. She also bought a block of land at 49 Harrow Road, Bexley for £550. This property was part of an original land grant to James Chandler in 1831. She sold the land just seven months later. A cottage named 'Watford' was later built on this block and today it is a block of flats. xiv
Will of Frederick Wilhelm LAUE
Will of Wilhelmina Laue
|This photo shows the location of Frederick and Wilhelmina's grave in the Lutheran section of Woronora Cemetery, south of Sydney||This shows the wording; These photo were kindly sent to me by Brett Tollis- their great great grandson.|
i - church records & death certificate
ii -International Genealogiy Index
iii -marriage certificate
iv- oral history
v -birth certificate
vi - letters from Mrs Norma Corduroy- daughter of Minna
vii- letters from Mrs. Evelyn Elder- daughter of Edward
viii -Emigration Index- shipping out of Hamburg B 484 for 1882-1883
ix- N.S.W. Archives- Shipping Lists
x- Sands Directories for N.S.W.
XI Newspaper clipping form local newspaper dated 1972 (?)
xii- Church records from Evangelical Lutheran in Neuberg
xiii- 1891 Census of Liverpool, Lancashire UK
xiv- Certificate of Title in Land Titles Office- Sydney NSW
xv- Naturalisation Papers for Wilhelmine Laue
xvi- Edwin Drechsel, 'Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen 1857-1970; History, Fleet, Ship Mails, Vancouver; Cordillera Publishing Co. 1994-1995 Volume 1, page 71 no 44
by Ros Davies
email details on Main Menu