in Caskum townland just SE Loughbrickland; east of the lake in
Banbridge, CoDown, BT32
The first church was probably a simple structure
of sod & thatch c. 1609. The name of the first minister before
1687 is unknown but Rev. John Mairs/ Mears senior was minister
1691-1697 . The next minister was Rev. George Lang 1701-1741 then
Rev. Charles McCollum Mar 1744- Dec 1744, followed by Rev. Timothy
White 1749- 1756 then Rev. John Smith/Smyth 1757-1804 & Rev.
Hugh McAlister 1804-1824.
This church was built in 1819 at a cost of £750
which was raised by subscription. It was then part of the Orthodox
'Old Light' Sect. In 1836 it was described as a large, plain building
in the Gothic style, made of granite & whinstone. Inside was
a gallery ( which was added in 1836 at a cost of £500 with
a donation from Lord Downshire of £20, Lord Clanwilliam
£10 & General Meade £20) & pews for holding
900 people, with the average attendance in 1836 being 600. The
salary of the minister, Rev. Robert Little, 1824- 1841 was £100
per year. The next minister was Rev. William Edmund Breakey 1842-1856
then Rev. Robert Crawford 1857- 1869 followed by Rev. Alexander
Buchanan from 1869.
The church joined with Scarva Presbyterian in 1927
under Rev. T.S. Reid