Narrowwater Castle
Ros Davies'
Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site

© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only
Nendrum Castle

Place Names of Co. Down: N....

Na - Ne Ni.......Nz

Place Names Parish Information Reference

Naghan Town

Loughinisland 336 acres; Clough area; click here to see its location on a map; means ‘the little ford’;in 1659 there were 15 English/Scots & 6 Catholic families here; Seceders church on site of ancient Catholic chapel; the population in 1841 was 96 & in 1851 60 & in 1861 16 people V17 p 96 OSM;HCDTD p38,40 ; LCB p 17, 81
Nachestowne Ardquin . alternate name for Ballyminnish townland in 1620 PNNI V2 p 31
Nacoma Holywood . a house in Cultra; home of the Irish spiritual medium Kathleen Golighy (b.1898- d. 1972) & Col. H.R. Charley in 1950s PE
Nahor's Quay Moira . the proprietor in 1795 was Mr. Frazer
Nailer's Brae Saintfield . a steep hill here SHM '86 p 9
Nannie's Sound Bright . a large basin of water on the coast which was blocked off in 1820 KCL p 74
Narrow Water Warrenpoint 29: 12/20 townland; 2km NW of Warrenpoint; formerly in Clonallan parish until 1825; click here to see its location on a townland map; this area was originally owned by Sir Hugh Mahennis c. 1580; corn mill here in 1836 ; proprietor Roger Hall 1836; flax mill here ;school established 1829: Farming Society 3 Mar 1838; harvest home 26 Oct 1867; Cottage Gardening Society 14 Aug 1880; Seceding Presbyterian church here WDG p51; V3 p 115, 116, 122 OSM:MS WAG p 48; DR: HMNI p106; GIC; PNNI V1 p 163; IPP p 112
Narrow Water Castle Warrenpoint . ancient castle & 353 acres ,owned by Roger Hall in 1863 ; click here for a photo
Narrow Water Forest Warrenpoint 29: 11/20 large wood on Newry River, 3km NW of Warrenpoint
Natal Terrace Holywood . row of 4 houses in Palmerston Rd, Strandtown
Needoo Ardkeen 21: 57/59 in Strangford Lough, 3km W of Cookstown; means 'the black nest'
PNNI V2 p 22 
Negoward Clonduff . alternate name for Goward in 1612
PNNI V3 p 87
Neills Bridge Loughinisland . 3km W of Downpatrick
old b/w M 12
Neills Cottage Kilcoo . in Bryansford Rd, Newcastle;residence of Mrs Morrison in 1910
Neills Hill Ballymacarret . site of a railway station in 1890 ; Belfast to Comber
NWAG p 37 map; TMUOP p126
Nendrum Tullynakill 21; 52/64 on Mahee Island in Strangford lough, click here for a photo of the ancient monastic site and castle
Nest (The) Kilcoo . house & 2 acres in Bryansford villages ; held in fee by Earl of Roden in 1863; residence of Rev. Arthur Langtry & Ross Langtry in 1910 GV; POD
Nestleton Knockbreda . 2 attached houses in Kings Rd, Belfast near Knock Road in 1902
Net Hole Dunsford . popular fishing spot near Guns Island
Inv 2000 p 6
Netherleigh Holywood . in Strandtown; residence of William Robertson in 1886 POD; P7/19 CBSA
Netherwood Knockbreda . in Knock Rd, Belfast near Kensington Road; residence of Donald G. Caldwell in 1902
Nettlefield House Knockbreda . house & large garden in off Cherryville St, near Woodstock Rd Ballymacarrett; residence of Frederick Lewis in 1852; owned by Mrs. Lewis in 1876 with 11 acres; house still there in 1902
POD; OS map 1902 4.11; LOI
New Bridge Clonduff 29: 23/29 over river Bann ;3km E of Hilltown on Spelga Pass road
Newcastle Slanes 21: 63/53 a townland of 226 acres; 4km NE of Portaferry; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' the new castle', which was a ruin by 1617; the village was described in 1836 as small with having houses of one storey with much poverty; there was a light-house on the shore in 1837; proprietor Rev. Mr. Blacker of Markethill in 1836;death of "Rose-Curer" Francis Smith 18 Apr 1874 V17 p 125, 127 & V121 OSM;DR; PNNI V2 p 117
Newcastle Kilcoo 29: 37/31 a town on the coast, 4km SE of Castlewellan; click here for a photo and more information .
New Comber House Comber . house & farm of 17 acres in Cattogs townland; 2km SE of Comber town; near Strangford Lough ; leased by John Smith in 1863 from Marquis of Londonderry; residence of James Smyth c. 1860 & Henry D. Ritchie in 1870 & Hamilton Coulter in 1899 & 1912
old b/w map R8;GV; POD ; ACOC p25
New-Culter Ballyphilip . proprietor in 1836 was Rev. Mr. Blacker;
V7 p 8 OSM
Newells Cross Kilkeel 29: 24/15 crossroads ; Kilkeel to Rostrevor road & Greencastle road
PNNI V3 p 63 
Newerk Ardglass . 'the new works of Ardglass', held by Sir Jancio D'Artois in 1427
O'L V1 p 168
Newfield Bangor 15:55/78 farm; near Cotton townland; 5km SE of Bangor town .
New Forge Hillsborough . near Hillsborough; residence of John McClughan & Charles F. Nash & John Russell in 1852; Old Forge is in Drumbeg parish
New Forge House Magheralin . farm; just S of Magheralin village in Drumcro townland; now called Drumcro House; residence of James Pickering 1840s-1850s & Henry Frederick Hole Esq. in 1858
old b/w map J 3; PNNI V6 p 237; PR; MIs
Newforte Newtownards 21: 45/73 farm; 4km SW of Newtownards  .
Newfoundland Dromara . a farm in Drin townland, leased by Daniel Davey in 1821
TEP: PRONI D/788/324
Newgrove Blaris . near Lisburn; 233 acres owned by Crommelin Irwin in 1876
New Grove Drumbo . residence of John Younghusband in 1793 & Councillor Thomas Hutchenson in 1833 & Robert Anderson c. 1870; described as a small but desirable residence
V7 p 56 OSM ; MIs
Newgrove Kilmore 21: 43/55 farm, in Clontinaghnaglar townland
Newgrove Magherahamlet . farm; 2km S of Spa
old b/w map L10
New Lagan Bridge Knockbreda . over the Lagan River just S of Ballymacarret town
V7 p 98 OSM
Newmarket Lodge Knockbreda . in Knock Rd, Belfast near Cherryvalr Road; residence of Robert H. Clegg in 1902
Newmill Bridge Moira 20: 16/60 over river Lagan ;2km SE of Moira; southern border of Aughnadrumman townland
PNNI V6 p 278 
Newmills Tullylish 20: 6/52 in Ballynagarrick townland; mill here in 1739 & 1834; Presbyterian church burnt down in 1797 but rebuilt ; the proprietor in 1795 was John McMurrin; John McMurrin, linen manufacturer here in 1824
New Quay Ballyculter . near Strangford
Inv 2014 p7 (map),8
New Orchard Moira . a farm ; residence of James Swain in 1910
Newport Blaris a townland 3km N of Hillsborough town; in Maze townland; the proprietor in 1795 was Jeremiah Harvey; school built 1818; Sunday school here;one of the quays on the Lagan Navigational Canal; reisdence of Jane Prenter in 1808 & 1836 UJA; V12 p35,38,101 OSM; old b/w map M4; ODHD p39 RD
Newry Newry 29: 8/27 a parish & a large town on the border with Co Louth, Co Armagh & Co Down; click here for a photo and more information ; means' yew tree' HCPCI p289
Newry Arms Newry . an inn in Hill St, Newry ; the proprietor in 1846 was Adam Black
Newry Hotel Newry . an inn in Corry Square, Newry ; the proprietor in 1910 was Mrs Heaney
Newry Hotel Warrenpoint . an inn in Warrenpoint; the proprietor in 1846 was James White
Newry Quay Ballyculter . in Strangford; site of Newry Timber & Slate Company depot in 19th century for storing timber
Inv 2006 p40
Newry River Newry 29: 8/31 runs S into Newry Canal
Newton Rock Inishargy 21: 56/63 in Strangford Lough, 4km W of Kircubbin
Newtown Ardglass/ Dunsford . Villa Nova, on a list of Bishop's lands in 1210 returns O'L V1 p 179; Inv 2002 p 55; LM 1999 p90
Newtown or
Kilbroney a townland of 432 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; bog here; proprietor David Ross Esq. in 1836; Quaker meeting house here; a betling mill here in 1886 V3 p 26, 32 OSM; GIC; PNNI V1 p 151; POD
Newtown Upper Kilbroney a townland of 213 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; cleared by Catholic steelers from Co. Armagh c. 1780
PNNI v1 p 151 
Newtown Seapatrick. . village in Kilpike townland; 2km NNW of Banbridge old b/w map G5;GV
Newtownards 21: 49/74 large town and a parish; 8km SE of Belfast on the Donaghadee road; click here for a photo of the old town square, more information & newspaper indexes ; click here for a map of the townlands .
Newtownbreda Knockbreda 20: 36/70 a village ;on the Belfast to Downpatrick road; in 1832 the 62 houses very kept in good order; 10 two-storey & 25 one-storey houses were thatched; it had one hotel & one street with houses only on one side with the other being Belvoir Park demesne, home of Sir Robert Bateson Esq. M.P.;there were many gentlemen's seats with woodland surrounding them: the Church of Ireland, Presbyterian & Methodist meeting houses here ;there were 2 carpenters, 1 dish turner, 1 blacksmith, 5 nailors, 3 tailors, 1 saddler, 4 shoemakers, 3 small grocers, a benevolent society and a dispensary; 4 schools here ; incendiary fires 3 Feb 1849; elevation of Sir Thomas Bateson to peerage, Lord & Lady Deramore 5th Dec 1885 (DR); mystery 4 Jul 1891 (NC) V7 p 101,102 OSM: DR ; GIPR; NC
Newtown Bridge Kilbroney . 1km NE of Rostrevor
old b/w map A13
Newtown Hayes Seapatrick . residence of John Wetherhead, thread merchant in 1846
Nicholsons Cross Roads Dromara 20: 26/52 between Drumadoney & Lappage townlands  .
Nicholsons Point Kilkeel 29: 29/12 juts out into the Irish Sea, 2km SW of Kilkeel
PNNI V3 p 63.
Nicholstown Ballytrustan . alternate name for Ballynichol townland in 1333
PNNI V2 p 59
Nickeys Point Killyleagh 21: 52/51 in Strangford Lough, 2km S of Killyleagh
Norelands Down sudden death of Clayton Savage Esq. of Norelands, Hollymount estate 12 Jun 1858 DR
Normanville Bangor . 3 attached houses in Hamilton Rd, Bangor in 1902
North Boretree Rock Grey Abbey 21: 54/69 rock in Strangford Lough, 2km W of Pattersons Hill
Northcote Villa Knockbreda . now 95 King's Rd, Knock village ; built c. 1890; photo available ACC p38
North Down House Comber a pub near McDonald's Corner, Comber ; owned by Mr Todd c. 1900 then became Railway Tavern c. 1925 then back to original name; won award in 1967 TOOC p96
Northfield Donaghadee villa in Killaughey Rd, Donaghdee; residence of W.F. Walker in 1910 POD
North Lodge Newry . residence of James Law McCance R.M. in 1864 & Allan MacDonnell in 1886 CR; POD
North Quay Ballyculter . near Strangford Inv 2014 p7 (photo)

North Rock
North Rocks

Slanes in Cloghy Bay ; many wrecks; in 1683, 18 sailors were drowned & buried in Slanes churchyard; site of a lighthouse; barquentine Titania wrecked 2 Feb 1879; barque Amanda wrecked 26 Jun 1881; steamer Craigrownie wrecked 13 Dec 1881; wreck of emigrant vessel Wild Deer 20 Jan 1883 V7 p 1 OSM:DR; BoTWR/MB; PNNI V2 p 118,119; JUAHS 2011 p20 (map)
North Rock Comber 21: 52/69 in Strangford Lough, half was between Comber & Grey Abbey; shipwreck of schooner 'Titani' 8 Feb 1879
North Tor Kilkeel . a peak near Dunnywater in Mourne Mountains; photo available
CP 31/7/2013
Norwoodstown Hillsborough . farm estate; 3km E of Hillsborough town
old b/w map M6
Norwood Tower Holywood . house & farm of 15 acres in Ballymisert townland ,Circular Rd, Strandtown; leased by James A. Henderon in 1863 from David S. Ker; death of James Alex Henderson Esq. J.P. son of the proprietor of Newry Telegraph newspaper 14 Apr 1883 ; residence of Charles W. & H. Trevor Henderson in 1902
GV; DR; POD ; ACS p10,11
Nugent Arms Ballyphilip . a hotel in Portaferry; licence transfered from Mrs. McMullan to Messrs. William P. McCall, Edward McCall & Thomas McCall of Newtownards 4 Feb 1911; re change of ownership & sale of contents of building 14 Oct 1912
JUAHS 2011 p35 & 2012 p39
Nuns Bridge Slanes 21: 62/55 over Ballyfinragh river; 5km N of Portaferry ; Nunsbridge House near here c. 1870 in Ballygalget
O'L V1 p 416; PNNI V2 p 137
Nun's Gate Down . at the corner of Bridge & Church Street, Downpatrick on 1729 map; near the Nunnery of the Blessed Mary (Cistercians) O'L V1 p 259; LR 2012 p62
Nunsquarter Inishargy 21: 59/64 a townland 4km S of Grey Abbey; 178 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'quarter of the Nuns'; Catholic church here V17 p125 OSM; GIC; O'L V1 p 428; PNNI V2 p 93;GV
Nunsquarter House Inishargy . house & farm of 123 acres; the proprietor in 1795 was James Allen; held in fee by James Allen in 1863 ; residence of William Allen in 1910; click here for a photo
UJA; GV; old b/w map V14; POD
Nunstown Bright . alternate name for Ballynagallagh townland because of several stone lined graves O'L V1 p 151, 259
Nun's Walk Magheralin . in Ballymakeonan townland near old churchyard PNI V6 p 226
Nursery Villa Comber . residence of John Simonton in 1870 POD
Nurseryville Comber . house & farm estate of 49 acres in Ballyloughan; 2km NNW of Comber town; a prioprietor in 1795 was John Harvey; residence of John Harvey in 1824 & leased by William Campbell in 1863 from Marquis of Londonderry & William Berkeley in 1899 old b/w map R7; UJA; GV; POD
Nut Grove Kilbroney . in Rostrevor; residence of Robert Martin Esq. in 1846 POD
Nutgrove Loughinisland 21: 42/44 farm, 2km SE of Loughinisland village; mill here ; mansion, demesne & flour mill to let in 1836; residence of James Wardlow in 1794 & Mrs. Catherine Keys in 1846 & Andrew McCammon c. 1863 & D.G. McCammon in 1895 LCB p 16, 32; PRONI name search; PR; LM 1995 p75; LR 2018 p42, 44
Nut Hill Moira 20: 19/59 in Ballyknock townland ;E of Moira
 PNNI V6 p 283
Nuthill Bridge Moira 20: 19/60 over old canal in Ballyknock townland
Nutt Lough Kilmore . very small lake in Drumnaconnor townland BN 15/6/1764

By Ros Davies